Thomas S. Saras
Sandie De Freitas
Marek J.D. Goldyn
Leila Monteiro Lins
Sandie De Freitas
Raffi Der Boghossian
Naearajh V. Bangaloris
Mila Astorga Garcia
Total in attendance 68 members.
- Welcome Remarks by the chair.
- Minutes of the previous meeting
- Report of the President/Discussions
- Presentation by US Consulate General Toronto
- New Members/New Business
Welcome Remarks by the Chair:
Dr. Tajdolati chaired the meeting and declared the meeting open. Eugenia Backchinow moved a motion to approve the agenda. Jonathan Annobil seconded it. The motion was carried. .
Minutes of the previous meeting:
Mareck Goodyn moved a motion to approve the minutes of the previous monthly meeting Isa Melo seconded it. The motion was carried.
- President Thomas Saras reminded the members to renew their membership this year in order to enjoy the benefits and privileges of being a member of NEPMCC. He expressed disappointed that only a portion of members have renewed their membership.
- President Thomas Saras met with delegation representing Government Advertising in Ontario. The Government of Ontario will distribute advertising depending on the circulation of the publication. The President also met several times the committee responsible for federal advertising in Canada. There is an ongoing dialogue to increase government advertising in ethnic media with the federal committee responsible for recommending government advertising in ethnic media.
- President Thomas Saras would send an editorial about increasing Government Advertising in ethnic media to all the members that would be published in their respective publications. This will send a unified voice to the authorities responsible for distributing Federal and Provincial advertising to ethnic media.
- Motion: President Thomas Saras suggested that any members of the Executive who are not present in three consecutive meetings would be removed from their position and would be replaced by deserving members who contribute on a regular basis. Pooyan Tabatabaei moved a motion in this regard. Ranjit Wicks seconded it. The motion was unanimously carried.
Michael Shiavand moved a motion to support the people of Kurdistan. Motion was moved by Michael Shiavand and seconded by Janusz Niemczyk. The motion was unanimously carried
- President Thomas Saras informed the members that the first phase of the digital publishing platform which had begun from January 2017 will be completed by March 2018. He mentioned that the company responsible for the implementation of the Digital Publishing Platform were suppose to update 5 websites every month and as a result 60 websites were supposed to be migrated at the end of the year to the Digital Publishing Platform. In order for the project to complete under the given timeline and to meet other requirements, this project will now be handled under Yuri Natchetoi. Imran Bashir and his company are no more involved with this project as he could not maintain the deliverables and timelines of this project
- President Thomas Saras suggested that on May 3 NEPMCC celebrate UN designated day for PRESS FREEDOM DAY at the rotunda of City Hall. A Special Celebration will be organized for this day with invited guests from the political establishment and the media organization of the province and the country.
- He suggested also that art works from the multi-cultural communities which the NEPMCC represents could be displayed during the week of October 21 to October 28, 2018 at the Rotunda of the Toronto City Hall. He called the members to bring this event to the attention of their community and the people of the arts.
Presentation by US Consulate General Toronto: Anne Lee Seshadri
The chair welcomed the delegation from the US Consulate General Toronto headed by Public Affairs Officer Anne Lee Seshadri.
Anne Lee along with her colleagues made brief presentation on the services and activities conducted by the US Consulate General. She encouraged all members to reach out to her or her team for any information on the services provided by US Consulate that could help the readership of the members of the NEPMCC.
Following the presentation she and her colleagues took questions from the floor for a roundtable discussion.
Michael Homsi, Mereck Goodyn, Fredroon Rahmani, Pooyan Tabteai and other members asked questions on wide variety of topics, such as NAFTA, Visa, US policies on Trade and others.
New Members/ New Business:
Mian Naeem - Radio Host @ 100.7 Chin FM
Olga Ironnikova - Radio Megapolis
Adjournment: PooyanTabatei moved a motion to adjourn the meeting and Ahmad Shah Hotaki seconded it. The motion was carried. The Chair, Dr.Tajdolati adjourned the meeting at 9 pm. The next monthly meeting would take place on Monday, March 12, 2018 at the City Hall.