Cancellation of the board meetings of April 13 and May 11
Dear friends and colleagues, sisters and brothers in the Ethnic Press:
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold, we are deeply concerned for the health and wellbeing of our members and the members of our communities. This is the reason that we made the difficult decision to cancel the board meetings of April 13 and May 11, and if necessary, June 08 2020 (as Toronto City Hall remains closed). We hope that normality will eventually be restored and life will take the normal avenue to peace, security and happiness.
Taking this opportunity, please allow me on your behalf to express our gratitude and heartfelt thanks to our governments all over Canada (local, provincial and federal) and also the heroes of the days of our lives: the members of the medical communities all over Canada and mother Earth.
As we understand and realize the difficulties at the present time our members are experiencing, I want to assure you that the administration of your organization is working daily to ensure as many benefits as possible are given to you and to your staff.
To this extent, Maria is in a daily contact with the agencies of record of the federal and provincial government in order to ensure that the recently announced advertisements will include our members. As far as we know at this point, the federal campaign will start with 11 communities and the provincial with 14, in the first phase. There are plans to extend ad funding to further communities in the near future.
Due to difficult circumstances, we asked the authorities for immediate financial help and I can assure you that all of you which apply for the Aid to Publisher will receive the cheque by the end of April. The one that applied for the first time this year will receive their funding by May.
At the same time, the members of the board are working very hard to ensure, as soon as possible, that the two programs, (Internship and LJI), will continue as soon as we receive the OK from Ottawa. The civil servants right now are out of their offices due to Covid-19.
As soon as we get the go ahead, immediately my office will distribute to all of you the applications so we can help you in these difficult times.
With our best wishes and hopes that all of you stay safe and able, I salute you and thank you for your dedication, love and determination to continue your work in order to keep your community informed.
Please accept our best wishes to remain safe and with good health.
Thomas S. Saras Neel Nanda Maria Voutsinas
President/ CEO Secretary Gen. Executive Managing Director